Speaking to Sunday Morning With Trevor Phillips, the mayor of Kyiv said it was "life important" to have Washington on his country's side in its war against Russia.
Asked if he is confident that the US president will support Ukraine's attempts to hold onto as much of its territory as possible during peace negotiations, Mr Klitschko said: "It's the United States, it's very important. It's critically important. It's life important to have United States [on the] side of Ukraine."
The former world heavyweight boxing champion, who was elected as the mayor of Kyiv in 2014, argued that the US could secure wider stability by supporting Ukraine.
Mr Klitschko continued: "If we defend our national interest, if we're talking about the peace, if we're talking about democracy, the Trump administration has to be on the side of Ukraine, because Ukraine is the largest country in Europe and the stability in the largest countries in Europe can bring the stability of the whole region."
The mayor was then asked if he trusts Mr Trump.
After a long pause, he replied: "I try to trust him, but sometimes I don’t understand clearly the messages from President Trump regarding peace in Ukraine. Peace in Ukraine is very important."
But any peace deal "definitely" should not be a "capitulation agreement between Ukraine and Russia," he added.
US-brokered peace talks between Moscow and Kyiv are ongoing, and the latest round took place in Geneva earlier this week.
White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt said on Wednesday that "meaningful progress" had been made - but speaking in his nightly address, Volodymyr Zelenskyy said he was dissatisfied with the talks.
"As of today, we cannot say that the result is sufficient," the Ukrainian president said. "The military discussed certain issues seriously and substantively.
"Sensitive political matters, possible compromises and the necessary meeting of leaders have not yet been sufficiently addressed."
Read more:
Russian citizen detained over Moscow shooting of general
Ukraine battles to keep Russia banned from football
Speaking to Reuters news agency on the condition of anonymity, five of Europe's intelligence chiefs this week said they believe Russia does not want to end the war quickly.
Four claimed Moscow is using the peace talks to push for sanctions relief and business deals, with one stating: "Russia is not seeking a peace agreement. They are seeking their strategic goals, and those have not changed."
Russia and Ukraine launch overnight strikes
Mr Klitschko's comments came after Kyiv said on Saturday morning that it had struck an industrial site deep inside Russia.
Ukraine said it hit a Russian plant manufacturing ballistic missiles in the remote Udmurtia region.
Alexander Brechalov, the region's governor, said there had been "damage and injuries" after a site was attacked overnight with drones.
Russia also attacked Ukraine overnight into Saturday, launching 120 drones and one ballistic missile, Ukraine's air force said.
Oleh Kiper, the head of the Odesa region, said drones had damaged civilian and energy infrastructure facilities, including a secondary school and an energy company's warehouses.
Two people were injured, he said in a statement on Telegram.
Watch the full interview with Vitali Klitschko on Sunday Morning With Trevor Phillips at 8.30am.
Concerns were raised to police over the welfare of the men, aged 19 and 20, on Wednesday.
Crews from Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team, Aberglaslyn Mountain Rescue Team, RAF Mountain Rescue Service, SARDA and HM Coastguard were deployed and carried out extensive searches on Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon).
North Wales Police said in a statement: "Tragically, the bodies of the two men were located and recovered as part of these co-ordinated search efforts.
"Both have now been formally identified, and their families have been informed."
Jurgen Dissmann, chair of Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team, said that he wanted to extend his "most heartfelt condolences" to the families and loved ones of the two men.
He said: "The team were tasked by North Wales Police and launched an extensive multi-agency operation in full winter conditions.
"Volunteers searched across challenging mountain terrain in snow and ice, working long hours through the night in difficult weather in an effort to locate the pair as quickly as possible.
"Despite the determined and sustained commitment of everyone involved, we are deeply saddened that, despite all efforts, the outcome was not what we had hoped for."
Read more from Sky News:
'Most notorious prisoner' vows to 'expose unlawful sentence'
Inside lab that could be crucial for women's rugby future
Meanwhile, officers from Police Scotland are trying to find a climber who failed to return from a planned hike on Ben Nevis.
Brian Mcgillicuddy, 64, was reported missing on Thursday, having last been seen at 4am on Glasdrum Road in Fort William.
Police Scotland believes the hiker planned to walk up to the Charles Inglis Clark Hut, which is typically used by mountaineers as a base camp on the north face of Ben Nevis.
Sergeant Paige Macdonald said: "Brian is an experienced hill walker, but he did not return from his planned hike and has not been heard from since."
Mr Mcgillicuddy is 6ft 1in tall, of slim build, with short grey and white hair.
He was wearing a white climbing helmet, a dark blue jacket, white jeans and blue and red gaiters, when he was last seen.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Police Scotland.
In one WhatsApp message, Detective Constable Mark Luker of British Transport Police used the term "dags".
He was referencing a scene from the Guy Ritchie film Snatch in which Stephen Graham's character struggles to understand Brad Pitt's character's accent when he mentions dogs, the misconduct panel heard.
In another message Mr Luker referred to "scrap metal, lead roofing and cable", which he accepted was a joke to link theft to the Irish Traveller community, the panel was told.
The panel concluded he was likely aware the language was "offensive" to a minority community and ruled it gross misconduct.
But it accepted that DC Luker is not "inherently racist".
The panel wrote: "As an experienced BTP police officer used to dealing with a whole range of people, the panel found that, on the balance of probabilities, he probably would have known that this was an especially offensive use of language directed towards members of a minority community."
Read more from Sky News
Bodies found in mountains
Bishop of Lincoln arrested
Mr Luker was on a WhatsApp group called "Selbie Gumshoes" with other members of the Major Serious and Organised Crime (MSOC) team, the panel heard.
On 31 December 2024, discussing someone winning a bottle of whiskey that still had a security tag attached, he wrote: "Was this a raffle on a certain kind of site? Lots of mobile type homes? Lots of 'Dags'."
He added: "You are the MSOC pikey liaison."
The panel found these were "deliberate messages, that clearly link the Irish Traveller community to acts of theft".
It said the use of the word "dags" in messages was "derogatory" as it refers to a scene in Snatch where a Gypsy character's accent is "mocked".
On 17 March 2025, another group member shared a video of "Paddy Day parade on Inishbofin", with the message: "Just like a Disney World Parade. They know how to put on a show."
Mr Luker replied: "Off to find some scrap metal, lead roofing and cable."
The panel concluded this was "deliberate and discriminatory", linking the Gypsy, Roma, and Traveller community to theft.
On 27 March 2025, he again used the word "pikey", which the panel found to be "disrespectful".
Mr Luker said he was one of the first responders to the London Bridge terror attack and one of his coping mechanisms for dealing with that day can involve the use of humour.
He said he did not intend to be offensive when using the word "pikey" in messages.
With so many Labour-run councils already in jeopardy in the forthcoming local elections, campaigners believe this could be a deciding issue in key areas.
But the Israeli embassy says the pledge is a "disgraceful effort at intimidation".
In total, 1,028 councillors have now signed up to "uphold the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people" and ensure their council is not complicit in what they claim are "Israel's violations of international law", such as divesting from pension funds invested in arms companies.
Among the signatories is Hackney Green Councillor Zoe Garbett.
"I think that this is really important to uphold the rights of the Palestinian people and to make sure that we can make ethical investments," she told Sky News, adding that this was an issue that residents had raised with the council.
"They want to see their council representing them on a national level," she said.
"We know that most people really want to see an end to the genocide in Gaza, and an end to wars and conflicts all across the world, and they want to see their local representatives standing up for them."
Israel denies the accusations of genocide in Gaza.
Most signatories from Green and Labour parties
So far, 345 of the councillors who've signed the Palestine Pledge are from the Greens, followed by 338 from Labour, 104 Lib Dems, 38 members of the SNP, 17 from Plaid Cymru, 12 from Your Party, three Conservatives and many more independents.
Labour has long been divided on the issue of Gaza.
The prime minister's initial reluctance to call for a ceasefire after the October 7 attacks led to a drop in support among Muslim communities at the last election. Four Labour MPs lost their seats to pro-Palestinian candidates in July 2024, and the party is now under increasing pressure from other parties on the left.
Read more: What's happening with this year's local elections?
The pledge provides a rough indication of where it could be a factor in the local elections.
In Labour-dominated Islington, 59% of councillors pledged, mostly from Labour. In Tower Hamlets, 49% have signed up, nearly all from the controlling group on the council, Aspire, and none from the Labour block of 16 councillors.
In Sheffield, where no party currently has overall control, 24% have signed up - including 13 Greens and seven Labour councillors.
But in Labour-controlled Bradford, 29% have signed up - the majority are Greens and independents. In Hackney - where there have been big debates over the issue of divestment - 16% have pledged, with just three of them from Labour.
Pledges from Labour left
While the prime minister recognised Palestinian statehood in September, many on the Labour left would like to see him do more.
"I think that so many Labour councillors have been so keen to sign the Palestine pledge as councillors because it puts on record that support for Palestine and distinguishes them from the position taken by the leader of the Labour Party," Richard Burgon, Labour MP for Leeds East, said.
The pledge was launched by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign - the group behind many of the protest marches in support of the Palestinian cause - and supported by four other organisations, the Palestinian Youth Movement Britain, the Palestinian Forum in Britain, The Muslim Vote and the British Palestinian Committee.
'Dangerous road to go down'
Former MP Lord Steve McCabe, from Labour Friends of Israel, is concerned about the potential impact of the pledge, saying the campaign was "trying to interfere in local elections" and "encourage councils to develop their own foreign policies".
"I think it's a dangerous road to go down. I think undoubtedly it could create tensions in some communities," he said.
Lord McCabe added that the campaign comes at a time of heightened antisemitism. He said: "Jewish people are alarmed. They're scared to go to their synagogue. Sometimes they're frightened to walk the streets of their own community. How this will do anything to relieve tensions, I can't see."
A spokesperson from the Israeli embassy in London said: "Contrary to what has been portrayed in the campaign, Israel is actively engaged in implementing the 20-point programme established by the Board of Peace.
"It is regrettable to see small-scale political opportunism and grifting carried out on the backs of people in the Middle East.
"The BDS [Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions] campaign is a disgraceful effort at intimidation that echoes some of the darkest chapters of history. Calls for boycott[s] should be rejected."
Read more from Sky News:
Gorton and Denton by-election: The UK's first crucial vote
Analysis: Starmer has even more to lose after latest U-turn
Dan Iley-Williamson, political organiser at the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, said local authorities "administer pension funds that invest more than £12bn in companies enabling Israel's crimes, including in arms firms that make the bombs and bullets used to kill Palestinians".
"The mass movement for Palestine - which has brought millions onto Britain's streets - is not going away," he added.
"Vote Palestine will take our demands into the May elections and deliver a message to those seeking office: If you want our votes, stand up for Palestine."
The government says it "formally recognised Palestine in the autumn to protect the viability of a two-state solution and create a path towards lasting peace for the Israeli and Palestinian people".
The decision is a hopeful development for one of Britain's longest-serving and most notorious prisoners, and means a fuller examination of his eligibility for release will now take place.
Bronson, 73, has spent more than five decades in custody. He was first jailed in 1974 for armed robbery.
Repeated violence and hostage-taking then resulted in his sentence being increased to life.
But after 12 years without a violent conviction, this is now his ninth attempt to seek parole.
In a letter to Sky News, Bronson wrote: "I am 23 years over my tariff. I am forever denied progress. I am forever kept in solitary. They won't even take me off Cat A."
He went on: "I have to expose this unlawful sentence and treatment. It's now gone on for far to long [sic] its become a total joke."
His most recent review had been under consideration "on the papers", where written evidence is assessed by the parole board, including reports from prison officials, psychologists and probation staff.
However, the board has this week concluded that the case should progress to an oral hearing, where evidence can be tested in person and witnesses questioned directly. The hearing will allow the parole board to assess Bronson's current level of risk in greater depth, before deciding whether he can be safely released into the community.
The parole board could also decide that the best course of action is to move Bronson to an open prison and onto a normal wing with other prisoners to see how he fares. Bronson has been in solitary confinement 23 hours a day for 37 years on and off.
Read more from Sky News:
Grey's Anatomy star dies aged 53
Man jailed after starving dogs to death
Gurdeep Singh, a solicitor acting for Bronson - also known as Charles Salvador - said the move was an important step.
"Mr Salvador is delighted with the fact he has been progressed to a full hearing but he is under no illusions; this is just the start of the fight for his release," he said.
"He wants to show the world he is not the person he was, he hopes to convince the panel that he is a changed man intent on living a simple life in the outside world. He has high hopes he can see his 95-year-old mother this year."
Bronson is expected to be invited to attend the hearing in person, giving him the opportunity to address the panel directly and respond to concerns about his behaviour and future plans if he were to be released.
The parole board granted Bronson a public oral hearing in 2023, where he said: "It's no secret I have had more porridge than Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and I'm sick of it. I've had enough of it. I want to go home."
He had applied for this year's parole proceedings to be heard in public, a request we understand was rejected. But with the case now moving to an oral stage, he could seek to renew that request.
No date has yet been set for the hearing.




